So I made some Caprese skewers.. They are so dang cute! Of course there is absolutely no need of a recipe to make them. It’s just cherry tomatoes, basil leaves and Mozzarella cheese on thrown together on a stick seasoned with salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. That simple! Making these is a child’s play and they’ll rock any party! It can be served as an appetizer or as a last course with favorite cocktail or wine! 😉
I served these skewers with spinach walnut pesto.. Hmm… seems interesting?! Require a recipe for another quick pesto? Then read on.. I have told time and again that pesto is my fave. It is so versatile. I made a big enough batch for only 2 of us in the house and served it with these skewers, made dinner with some spaghetti, threw some in my breakfast omelet and made some grilled cheese for lunch. Phew!
So let’s get down to the recipe business!
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- fresh Mozzarella balls
- basil leaves
- extra-virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, as per taste
Skewer the cherry tomatoes alternating with basil leaves and Mozzarella balls. Once they are all skewered, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and serve alongside spinach walnut pesto.
Spinach Walnut Pesto
- 3 cups spinach leaves
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted or untoasted (I’m lazy & used untoasted)
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup olive oil to begin with, add more as and if required
Blend all the ingredients in a food processor till smooth puree is formed. Add more olive oil as and if required. Store in an air-tight container and refrigerate up to 4-5 days.
As I have proclaimed here before…. I looovvveee pasta!
And my all time favorite pasta sauce is basil pesto.
But then I came across this creamy coriander pesto & now, I have a new favorite!
On a rainy evening, hubby & I were sipping coffee at our favorite cafe located down the street from our house. They have quite a versatile menu and I really love the place. One pasta sauce in there really caught my eye and I had to order it immediately. It was a spicy coriander and cashew sauce prepared in cream cheese and was served over Conchiglie (shell shaped) pasta.
The dish was so delectable that I had to replicate it at home with bit of a guesswork. Of course my version differed from theirs as I did not use cream cheese and did not add red chili flakes. But it was every bit as scrumptious if not better! Now would I lie to you? NO! So believe me 🙂
It is a pesto sauce so you have your usual suspects.. fresh herb, garlic and nuts!
The pesto has a fresh summery fragrance from fresh coriander and a rich texture from cashews. I used Farfalle pasta instead as that is what I had on hand.
You would be really surprised at how creamy it turned out and pretty low in calories too! Very delicate dish all in all! 🙂
So let’s get down to the recipe!
Farfalle with Fresh Coriander and Cashew Pesto
- 3 cups Farfalle pasta, cooked al dente as per the package direction
- 2 cups fresh coriander leaves (packed into measuring cup)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup cashews, soaked in water for 2-3 hours
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup hot milk and 1 cup hot water, mixed together
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes (I omitted it)
- Cook 2 cups of Farfalle pasta in salted boiling water as per the direction mentioned on the package. Once pasta has cooked al dente, drain the water and start preparing the sauce.
- Add coriander leaves, garlic cloves, soaked cashews, pinch of salt and 1/4 cup milk in a blender and blitz till you get a soft puree. Add little milk if required.
- In a pan, melt the butter and add flour to it. Let the flour cook for about 3-4 minutes on a low heat.
- Add hot milk and hot water mixture to the pan and whisk to make sure there are no lumps. Add grated cheese. Cheese will melt and mixture will thicken a bit in about 5 minutes.
- Add pureed coriander mixture in a pan and whisk. Season with salt and pepper as per your taste. Add red chili flakes if you want a hint of spice. Add pasta to this and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes so that pasta has absorbed the sauce. Serve immediately.