Woohoo (with more o’s than I can type)!!! This is my 100th blogpost! I know I should have reached this teeny-tiny (quite huge for me of course!) milestone a long time back but I’m glad I did. I thank each and everyone of you for being with me on this journey. And even tolerating my sporadic absence. You guys are sweetest. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Really 🙂
I’m sure we all agree on this that no celebration is complete without a cake. And I know I should have brought one today but instead, I come bearing smoothie and I ain’t sorry. This is no ordinary smoothie, it’s a sunshine smoothie! Yes, pure liquid sunshine for breakfast and you won’t need anything else. Great way to get lots of fruit in your system. So go fruit wild this summer. This one is mindbogglingly refreshing!
This fruity concoction is so creamy, it may trick you into thinking there is ice-cream involved. This smoothie is created using shockingly simple ingredients aka fruits and nothing else! I’m a huge fan of frozen banana whip and it works as a great base for a smoothie. I made this whip for breakfast last week with frozen kiwi and banana and it turned out totally amazeballs. The idea was sparked then to turn it into a gorgeous smoothie.
I went fruit crazy and added mango (my fav), banana, kiwi and orange with a squeeze of lime and a spoon of honey, blend and Ta Da! You get this tropical heaven. Truly summer in your glass! (See I didn’t whine about the hottest, sunniest weather we’re experiencing here even once.. Ha!)
Put your feet up and enjoy this citrus bursting smoothie. It’ll brighten up your day and make the weather certainly more tolerable. Trust me.
Sunshine Smoothie for Two
Serves: 2 obnoxiously | Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 large frozen mango, previously peeled & sliced
- 1 large frozen banana, previously peeled & sliced
- 2 frozen kiwi, previously peeled & sliced
- 2 oranges, peeled, seeded and sliced
- Juice from 1 lime
- 6-8 ice-cubes
- 1 Tbsp honey (optional)
Blend all the ingredients in a blender on high speed till you get a smooth consistency (for about 2-3 minutes). Serve in tall glasses.
*You may turn this smoothie into green smoothie by adding 1 cup of your favorite greens.
*You may swap kiwi with frozen chunks of pineapple. Whatever rocks your boat!
Nowadays I am baking practically everyday!!! I have become a baking fanatic! 😉
I have been mentioning in all my recent posts about how its Summer already and this year around Bangalore has become a magnet for scorching heat!!! I am exhausted! All I wanna do is drink anything and everything from refrigerator and sleep under a fan. I wish!!! A girl can dream, right?! 😉
But my crazy work hours forces me to get out of the house at 1 in noon when its especially terrible.. I am not a morning-person so the timing suits me perfectly but I can’t take this torturous heat anymore! HELP… Is anyone listening to me?! I guess not!!
I seem to have no option other than cribbing in front of you guys and this is when baking came to my rescue! I am baking all refreshing treats which can be eaten chilled! So if you are facing same problem as me then summon your spatulas and heat up your oven! We will face the sun with smile on our face! And don’t forget to whip it good! 😉
Today I am sharing with you all my recipe for Mountain Dew Cupcakes with buttercream frosting. These have a very prominent flavor from Mountain Dew but not over the top.
There is lemon and lime juice and zest in both the batter and frosting, giving them a good kick. The cupcakes are soft and moist. The frosting is velvety and buttery. And they’re perfect for toting along to picnics and cook-outs all summer long!
Mountain Dew Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Zest from 1 lime
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Mountain Dew
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp pineapple extract
Mountain Dew Buttercream Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp Mountain Dew
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- zest from half a lemon
- zest from half a lime
- light green food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Line a 6-count muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a small cup, stir together Mountain Dew, lemon juice, lime juice and pineapple extract.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add lemon and lime zest and then add egg, give it a good whisk.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter. Stir in the wet ingredients and finish off with the rest of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Fill each baking cup 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes rest in muffin tin for a few minutes before removing. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: Cream together butter and sugar. Add mountain dew, lemon juice, lime juice and zests. Stir in one or two drops of food color. Add more sugar if required depending upon the consistency and whisk. Frost the cupcakes once they are completely cool.