I know you think that my blog has sort of turned into a baking blog with a savory recipe seldom thrown here and there which again involves some sort of baking! (Humph.. Do I make sense?) So after throwing so many sugar-laden desserts week after week, I thought a savory recipe for brunch or breakfast (which does not involve baking) would be a great way to redeem my past actions. And when the recipe is so healthy, no-carb and wholesome, I’m sure many of you’ll be ecstatic.
With this recipe, turn your regular scrambled egg breakfast into a fancy brunch dish. With summer upon us, we require as many quick-fixes as possible. I mean, who wants to turn on the oven or spend time in the kitchen slogging over the heat! Low-fat and clean eating becomes a necessity when days are so hot and humid. This recipe absolutely fits the bill as an all-rounder meal suitable for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner.
This dish is so colorful because of zucchini, carrots and broccoli. As for the recipe, these are the measurements I followed but this dish does not require following a recipe to the T so feel free to make any adjustments. Use whatever vegetables you have at hand. Go vegetable crazy! Bell peppers and beans would be quite awesome too.
So eat light & have a happy happy weekend!
Serves: 2 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total: 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 small carrot, cut into julienne
- 1 small zucchini, cut into julienne
- 1/8 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (or any seasoning of your choice)
- 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 2-3 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4-6 lettuce leaves, washed and dried (any lettuce of your choice is fine)
- In a skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion to the skillet and saute till golden brown for about 2-3 minutes.
Add broccoli and carrots and saute for another minute.
Add zucchini and cook until just warm. We want the vegetables to have crunch and not be mushy. Mix in red chili flakes, Italian seasoning (or seasoning of your choice) and season with salt and pepper. Place this mixture in a small bowl.
- Wipe the skillet (used to saute vegetables) with paper towel and heat 1 Tbsp butter in it over medium heat. In a mixing bowl, crack 2-3 eggs and whisk them together with milk until well-beaten. Add pinch of salt and plenty of pepper.
Tilt the skillet to ensure the entire pan is coated in the melted butter and pour in the eggs. Keep the heat on medium low. When the eggs just start to set, use a flat spatula to slowly scrape sections of eggs, creating folds. Scrape occasionally until the eggs form soft folds; turn off the heat just before they are fully hardened.
- To serve, place the scrambled eggs on a lettuce and top with onion and vegetable mixture.