After hogging lots and lots of sweets and fried stuff during 5 days of festivities in the past week, believe it or not, but my digestive system needed a break. So I am doing a cleanse/detox for few days.
I made this skinny salad for lunch one day and have fallen in love with it since then. It is so versatile, protein-packed and healthy even for people with diet restrictions. Yes! It is suitable for all the vegetarians and vegans out there! A complete meal in itself.
Add any or all of the ingredients mentioned below or whatever you have in your refrigerator. Don’t like uncooked Paneer/tofu? Don’t worry! You can grill it with a bit of olive oil and some seasoning before adding it to your salad or skip it. I once made this with just apple, pear, pomegranate and it was still lip-smacking!
So do your body a favor, give yourself a break from cooking and make this hearty salad! 🙂
Skinny Zesty Salad
Serves: 2 as a side and 1 as a main-course
- 1/2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 200 gm Paneer/extra-firm tofu, cut into 2 inch-long thin strips
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped into thin strips
- 1 small yellow zucchini, cut into semicircles
- 1 small apple, thin slices
- 4 Tbsp black olives
- Bunch of lettuce
- few sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- Juice from 1 lemon, or more to taste
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a small pan on stove and add 1/2 Tbsp oil to it. Add garlic and broccoli florets. Stir fry till cooked, approximately for 4-5 minutes. Be careful not to burn garlic. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for dressing.
- In a medium bowl, add stir-fried garlic and broccoli florets. To this, add prepared paneer/tofu, bell pepper, zucchini, apple and black olives. Pour dressing over it and toss nicely.
- In a salad serving bowl, arrange lettuce at the bottom. Add salad on top. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately*.
*If serving later, refrigerate the salad and add apple just before serving.