It’s my Mother’s Birthday today! She is the most special woman in my life. She is my first best friend and I have had heaps of special moments with her. She handed down so many traits of hers to me… We both love bags, shoes, clothes and FOOD! She is such an awesome cook!
As already confessed in my intro page, I never learnt to cook before I got married and being such a great cook that she is, my mom was quite concerned about that part. She sincerely wrote down all her recipes in a diary for my convenience and gifted it to me on my D-day. That is my most prized possession and a lovely gesture on my mom’s part! I should soon get down to posting few of her special recipes!
Among many things my mother and I share, we both LOVE pasta! So aptly, I am posting a very simple pasta salad which is very refreshing and flavorful. I’m sure my mom would have enjoyed this thoroughly if I could make this for her at home for tonight’s celebration. But we are distanced by miles hence a virtual birthday dish will have to suffice! 😦
I love Caprese in any and every form!
This time I brought together 2 of my favorites and created this dee-lish caprese pasta salad. Of course with a twist… I added capers for a little tang! And it really did wonders. This salad is so beautiful, adorned with pear tomatoes and bursting with basil! Hope you enjoy this as much as we did!
Happiest of Birthday Mother! Cheers!!!
- 2 heaping cups bow-tie pasta
- Around 20-25 pear tomatoes, sliced
- 25-30 small cubes of Mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp capers, drained & washed
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- A pinch of red chili flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta in generously salted boiling water according to package directions till al-dante. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, add pasta, sliced tomatoes, Mozzarella cheese cubes, capers and toss.
- In a small bowl, take all the ingredients mentioned under dressing and whisk.
- Add the dressing to the large bowl of salad ingredients and toss well. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Let it chill in refrigerator for half an hour. Top with sliced basil leaves just before serving.