“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci
This salad is just that. Simple yet flavorful. Hearty yet sophisticated. Perfect lunch/dinner for those lazy, laid back days. Even better when you have only 15-20 minutes to put up a dinner and have scarce produce in your pantry. You just need couscous and throw in as many or as less veggies you have and you’re all set!
You know I’m a sucker for those lazy, quick recipes and this one here ticks all the boxes for me. And ignore my reflection in a spoon in a pic below.. Thank you! 😛
Mediterranean Couscous Salad
Serves: 2 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 5 mins
- 1 cup couscous (I used Barilla Cous Cous)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped or 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 small English cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp sliced black olives (If using canned, drain and wash)
- 2 Tbsp grated cottage cheese (can be substituted with Feta)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Make couscous according to the package instruction. Transfer the couscous to a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Add onion, tomato, cucumber, olives, cottage cheese and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for dressing. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the couscous salad and toss until well combined. Adjust the seasoning and serve.
*This salad can be made in advance and will keep fresh in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
*You can make this salad vegan by replacing cottage cheese with tofu or simply omit it.