A wonderful savory pie made with zucchini, parsley, basil, onions, Cheddar and Parmesan cheese.
A simple recipe to make your meal exciting!
I had a wonderful birthday weekend and I am still in a weekend recovery mode.. (Can anyone blame me?! I think not!)
So I was just browsing throu my recipe folder, seeing what mess it is and found this unposted recipe. I had baked this pie almost more than a month back for taking to a party at friend’s place but forgot to post it here and wanted to do it ASAP before it gets lost in a huge mess that my laptop has become! (I need to organize everything into folders big time!!!) 😛
It is as easy as all the other recipes on my blog as easy is what we all love, isn’t it? The hero of this pie is my favorite zucchini which is available in abundance around this time of year. The flavors get a touch of refresh due to parsley and basil leaves. It is perfectly cheesy and oh-so soft and moist.
Be sure to squeeze all the liquid from grated zucchini otherwise the pie will stay uncooked at places and it will be sticky while slicing into pieces. So squeeze it down till its last drop, okay?!
Crust-less Zucchini Pie
Serves: 4, Makes 8 servings
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, liquid squeezed out
- 1 large red onion, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh curled parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp olive oil plus extra to grease the pie dish
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Shred zucchini, put it in a cheese cloth or muslin cloth and give it a good squeeze to remove extra liquid. Preheat the oven to 400°F/ 200°C. Grease a pie dish with olive oil.
- Combine zucchini, onions, parsley, basil and cheddar cheese in a bowl.
- Sift flour and baking powder in a medium bowl. Add milk, olive oil, beaten eggs, salt and pepper to it and blend well. Combine with zucchini mixture and pour it into pie dish.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Mine took exactly 37 minutes. Let it cool on a rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.
*Serve it with crème fraiche or fresh tomato salsa. Pairs well with soups too!