Pardon my blog absence since 2 weeks.
I know I AWOLed but all I can say in my defence is that it was a testing time for us and my family needed me. Let’s not get into WhatHappened&How-HopeYou’reFine-AwwwSorryToHearThat etc stuff of it as the time has passed now and we are trying to move on.
I returned home only yesterday and was completely sloshed after all the hoopla that surrounded my life for past 15 days. I needed a break. I
needed wanted peace.
But I also knew that my blog required my attention right away. I didn’t want people to think that my blog was dead. Not right now. That’s the last thing I need.
So to attain this much needed peace, I head to my cozy kitchen and start my meditation. I bake… I bake cookies… I bake fresh-peach lemony cookies!
Oh yes! And what a meditation it turned out to be.. Peach is one of my favorite summer fruit(of course, no comparison with my fav mangoes.. which reminds me I need to make something outta mango RIGHT NOW!!!). And the aroma of peaches mixed with the lemony zing was divine!
To this combination I added a touch of cinnamon and AHEM!! As a result my whole house was filled with wonderful scents pampering me with soothing and mind-numbing aromatherapy. Finally, I felt at peace. 🙂
Ripe stone fruit and apricot preserve lend a double dose of flavor to these summary cookies.
These cookies are moist and have quite a tender texture hence tastes best on the day it is baked. Therefore, I decided to bake a small batch of 6 cookies. If you wish to bake in a larger quantity, it can be stored at room temperature for 2-3 days. Cookies will soften a bit on next day but it will still taste delicious.
Fresh-Peach Lemony Cookies
Yields: 6 regular sized cookies
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- pinch of salt
- pinch of baking soda
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon powder
- Lemon zest from 1 large lemon
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp of egg (whip an egg and use 2 Tbsp of it)
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large ripe peach, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 Tbsp sugarless apricot jam/preserve (peach preserve can also be used)
- Preheat oven to 375 F/180 C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon powder and lemon zest.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy for about a minute. Reduce speed to low. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Add peaches and preserve, and beat until just combined.
- Drop cookie dough onto baking sheet with an ice-cream scoop, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake until just golden brown, for 13-15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring on a wire rack to cool completely.
Beat the heat with Peach! 😉