I am a huge fan of breakfast for dinner. Mainly because I love the simplicity of it. Plus our work schedules do not allow us to have an early dinner hence eating light at night is a way to go for me.
My Sunday was jam-packed with activities so I couldn’t stock the fridge for the coming week but luckily my favorite soppu (is a Kannada word & in English it simply means ‘greens’!!) vendor knocked on our door Monday morning to deliver fresh spinach and that saved me an impromptu visit to supermarket. 🙂
I wanted to make something new from this super-fresh spinach but I simply didn’t have time to get my mind around it until dinnertime! I was tired of eating same old Spinach-Cottage Cheese Gravy with flat-bread. Plus I wanted it to be quick (as usual!!! 😉 ) hence I decided to make one simple dish with the combination of Spinach, Cottage Cheese and Flour! And this is how Spinach & Cottage Cheese Pancakes were born! And of course I HAD to healthify them!!! 😉
Serves: 2, Makes around 10 pancakes
- 1 bunch fresh spinach rinsed thoroughly and dried, approximately 200 gms
- 5-6 big cloves of garlic
- 2-3 green chilis
- 100 gms cottage cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 Tbsp millet flour
- 1 tsp flax-seed powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 tsp oil, plus more to grease the skillet
You can have number of variations with this recipe:
- You can add a bunch of mint leaves along with spinach for added freshness and zing.
- You can add grated carrots and/or boiled corn in the batter.
- You can use these pancakes as a base and make a mix-vegetable filling or egg filling to stuff it with.
Possibilities are endless! So keep thinking and improvising!