Today I bring to you an everyday staple yellow lentils/split grams (almost!!!) elevated to gourmet level by addition of Dill.
In olden days, dill was used in many traditional medicines, including medicines against jaundice, headache, boils, lack of appetite, stomach problems, nausea, liver problems, and much more. Dill seeds can also be used to prepare herbal tea.
Dill is not most often used herb in Indian cooking as cilantro but has got a very strong flavor which enhances the boring yellow lentils and compliments it very well.
Dill and Yellow Lentil Gravy
- 1/3 cup yellow lentils rinsed thoroughly, soaked in 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp oil or ghee
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 5-6 big cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 green chillis, finely chopped
- 1 big red onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 bunch of dill, washed and finely chopped with stems removed
- lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp Indian Garam Masala powder
- salt to taste
- spring onions, finely chopped, to garnish
Cook the lentils in pressure cooker for 10-15 minutes until soft. Do not mash them.
Heat the oil or ghee in a deep skillet and add the mustard seeds and cover it.