This is the second recipe that was made for cookie swap and these were shipped to Deeba of Passionate about baking. When I received her as my match I was ecstatic. It was a pure fan-girl moment! She and her blog is truly an inspiration for me. She captures mouthwatering food-pics and if you haven’t already, you must subscribe to her blog NOW. It was a difficult task deciding what to bake for her and I finally came up with these simple cookies. I hope she enjoyed them as much as I did
These oatmeal cookies are made with whole wheat flour. Magic ingredient involved – Cornstarch! It has been added to the cookies which keeps them thick and puffed after baking. Each bite is orange-y and filled with pumpkin seeds. Do not skip the dough chilling step. It is absolutely mandatory for the ease of handling dough. Another important tip is to not over-crowd the cookie sheet. Arrange only 9 dough-balls for each batch.
Zesty Whole Wheat Pumpkin Seeds Oatmeal Cookies
Makes: 20 cookies | Prep time: 10 minutes | Chill time: 30-60 minutes | Bake time: 8-9 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp oats
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange extract (optional)
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds, roasted
- 2 Tbsp milk
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter until soft. Add both sugars and beat until light and fluffy on a medium speed for about 1-2 minute. Whisk in orange zest. Add egg and continue to beat for another minute. Whisk in vanilla and orange extract.
- Carefully add dry ingredients to the bowl and beat at slow speed until no flour pockets remain. Add 2 Tbsp milk to bring the dough together.
- Fold in the pumpkin seeds to the dough. Let the dough chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Do not skip this step as the dough is unmanageable at the room temperature.
- Preheat the oven at 180ºC / 350ºF. Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper. Take 1 Tbsp of dough and form it into a ball between your palms. Arrange the dough balls on cookie sheet 2-inch apart from each other and bake for 8-9 minutes. Do not overbake. The sides should be golden and center may seem soft but it will set once cooled. Let the cookies cool on a cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer it to a cooling rack. Once cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight container. Cookies keep fresh for about 7 days at room temperature.